A heater flue pipe is a common roof penetration on your home. Like any roof penetration, the flashing is a critical component because it sheds the water away and allows the water to proceed down the channels of the roofing system and away from your property. The following steps will ensure a proper and leak-free installation.
- Install an Ice & Water barrier
- Install a roofing underlayment
- Install the base flashing
- Install shingles, nail and trim accordingly
- Install the storm collar (Add sealant around collar)
- Install the Heater Flu Cap
The flashing and installation of a heater flue pipe is important with any roofing project. Make sure that all flashing components are installed as this will save you headaches down the road. As always, consult with a reputable roofing contractor in your area. We hope this helps with your next roofing project.
This article is part of our ‘How To’ Series. Learn more about:
- Installation of Roof Components
- Building Science & Roofing Systems
- Inspection & Hazards